Medicaid Expansion


More people can get health care coverage through Medicaid!

Watch the short video below to learn how you can apply

North Carolina is changing the rules for who can get health care through Medicaid. Beginning Dec. 1, 2023, your income can be higher, and more adults aged 19 through 64 years will be eligible. Many North Carolinians who did not qualify for health coverage through Medicaid before, may qualify now.

The rules are changing so that more people can get health coverage through Medicaid - including adults who are aged 19 through 64 years and who earn at or below 138% of the federal poverty line. For example, most single people who earn about $20,000 a year or families of three who earn about $34,000 a year will be able to get health care through Medicaid. Some veterans and their families, children who age out of Medicaid and people who would be covered only for prenatal care would also be eligible.

NCDHHS has started contacting the approximately 260,000 people who are enrolled in Medicaid’s limited Family Planning program and who are eligible for full NC Medicaid benefits starting Dec. 1, 2023.

Text messages, phone calls and emails were sent as well to let those eligible know to look out for a letter from their local Department of Social Services. The letter will look like this example, available on the NCDHHS website.

Not everyone with limited Family Planning Program benefits will be automatically enrolled in full coverage through NC Medicaid. Some people may have income that exceeds the new Medicaid eligibility levels, even though qualifying income levels are higher than the past.

Please click here for more information

How can I apply for Medicaid?

The best way is to apply online through ePASS - a secure, self-service website. When you apply online, you can avoid having to go in person to your local Division of Social Services (DSS) office. It’s also faster and you can access the site at any time.

If you can’t apply online, you can apply in person at your local DSS office, by calling your local DSS office, or by mailing in a paper application.

Page last verified on