Transitions to Community Living (TCL)
North Carolina entered into a settlement agreement with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) in 2012. The purpose of this agreement was to make sure that people with mental illness are able to live in their communities in the settings of their choice. The Trillium Transitions to Community Living (TCL) Department works with the NC Department of Health & Human Services to meet the goals specified in the Department of Justice (DOJ) Settlement Agreement.
The TCL staff help make sure individuals with serious mental illness identified within the DOJ Settlement Agreement are:
- Given choice in deciding where they would like to live.
- Provided information about supports and services to make safe and successful transitions into the community.
- Linked to evidence-based, person-centered, recovery-focused, and community-based supports and services.
TCL staff helps with:
- In-reach, diversion, transition planning, supported housing, and care coordination.
- A comprehensive, person-centered approach.
- Collaborative service development, improvement, and implementation.
- Community outreach, education, and coordination with providers, hospitals, local Departments of Social Services, Community Care of North Carolina, adult care homes, homeless shelters, health departments, and other stakeholders.
TCL Member Stories
"I moved from an Assisted Living Facility into my own home. I am now living independently and words can’t explain how I feel inside. I would like to thank Kisha, my Transition Coordinator, along with Monica, my Peer Recovery Coach who have helped this journey go smoothly. They have been great supporters and help me realize goals I would have never dreamed of achieving. It is nice to know that I have a team that cares about me."
"I have successfully moved into my own home with the help of Kisha and the Community Building Team. They helped me get back into paying my own bills and managing my own medications and appointments. I am living my own life now and even have gone back to get my high school diploma. I am happier now than I have been in a long time. Times may get rough but you have to roll with it and work your plan. That is my advice from me to you!"
For more information, please visit DOJ Settlement - Transitions to Community Living Initiative or call Trillium at 1-866-998-2597.Eligibility and Services in TCL