ENSURING CAREGIVER SUCCESS ACROSS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA
“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”
GAST Training is conducted throughout all 28 Trillium counties by Therapeutic Alternatives. To schedule a training please contact John Dawson at 910-231-5097. Therapeutic Alternatives helps caregivers by providing education about mental illness so that people can be more effective caregivers. The GAST Team does not respond to emergency or crisis situations.
Examples include but are not limited to:
- Community Agencies
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- Senior Centers
- Home Care Agencies
- Departments of Social Services
- Nursing Homes
- Faith-based Organizations
- Law Enforcement
- Emergency Personnel
- Volunteer Organizations
- Domestic Violence Organizations
Therapeutic Alternatives helps caregivers by providing education about mental illness but they do not respond to emergency or crisis situations. They travel throughout our catchment area to:
- Provide training and education that enhances the understanding of mental health, substance use and dementia needs in older adults.
- Ensure caregivers and service providers understand and know how to assess escalating behaviors to prevent psychiatric hospitalizations.
- Offer required trainings and contact hours to Long Term Care staff at no cost.
- Increase the ability of adults living with a mental illness to live successfully in their community with a trained caregiver.
Geriatric/Adult Specialty Team Documents and Resources:
- DHHS Brochure
- American Association of Retired Persons, AARP
- Telephone Therapy Helps Older People
- Front Porch's Well Connect program is a virtual community offering phone and online activities that build community through group conversations, games, and education.
- National Institute on Aging (NIA)
- RehabNet is a non-profit organization with a mission to educate and provide assistance to seniors struggling addiction as well as caregivers and family members with concerns.
Page last verified on