Medicaid program for individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities
NC Innovations is a Medicaid Waiver program for individuals with intellectual disabilities/ developmental disabilities who prefer to receive long-term services and supports in their home or community, rather than an institutional setting. It helps individuals and families have more control over their lives by offering a large array of service options, providing opportunity for meaningful activities through community involvement or work, and helping achieve life goals.
Please note: There are only a certain number of NC Innovations Waiver slots. If the slots are full, your name will be added to the Registry of Unmet Needs. Please see below for more information.
Registry of Unmet Needs (RUN)
Individuals who think they may qualify for NC Innovations services need to complete Trillium’s “Registry of Unmet Needs” (RUN) application and send it to Trillium with supporting documentation. Trillium reviews applications and places individuals who are potentially eligible for the Innovations Waiver on the RUN list while waiting for Innovations Waiver slots to become available. While on the RUN, individuals can receive certain community-based services depending on medical necessity. Final Innovations eligibility is determined when a slot becomes available.
For any questions or to submit your RUN application please email RUN@TrilliumNC.org
Innovations Frequently Asked Questions
You can always reach your Care Manager by calling Member & Recipient Service at 1-877-685-2415 and request to speak with your Care Manager
- Your Care Manager will contact you and/or your legally responsible person in advance of your birth month to begin the process related to your new ISP.
- Trillium uses a telephonic and face-to-face Care Coordination model to facilitate any conversations before your planning meeting as well as for the ISP meeting. This means you can choose to have your meeting face to face or by telephone.
- Your Care Manager will send copies of ISP-related paperwork that will be reviewed during your ISP meeting in advance so you have time to review the information.
- Your Care Manager assists the individual in facilitating their ISP meeting and once all the input from team members is collected, develops the ISP and other supporting documentation.
- Your Care Manager will obtain signature(s) on the completed ISP and submit to the Trillium Utilization Management department for review and approval.
- Assessments are helpful in demonstrating the medical necessity for services that are requested in an ISP.
- Information gathered through different types of assessments (i.e. Speech, OT, PT, and Psychological) helps to assure that the services, interventions, and strategies are appropriate for the person.
- It is important to have updated assessment(s) that reflects the individuals current support needs.
- Face-to-face contact with you and members of the Individual Support Plan team.
- Telephone contact with you and members of the Individual Support Plan team.
- That services are provided as outlined in your Individual Support Plan.
- That you have access to services.
- That any problems that may arise are identified and resolved.
- That those services meet your needs.
- That backup staffing plans are implemented.
- That you are healthy and safe.
- That you are offered a free choice of network providers.
- That your non-waiver service needs have been addressed.
Yes, you have the right to have choice of provider, and may change providers at any time. Visit our Provider Directory.
The Role of the I/DD Care Manager
At Trillium, individuals receiving services through the Innovations Waiver receive Care Management, which:
- is family-focused
- acts as an information hub between agencies and systems
- coordinates a community-level service plan
- develops or ensures development of a crisis plan
- focuses on understanding needs in the context of strengths and connecting people to appropriate services
- facilitates planning with inclusion of community and natural supports, monitoring services and celebrating successes
- focuses on assessment, service planning, referral and linkage, monitoring and risk management
If at any time, you would like to discuss making changes to your Individual Support Plan, please contact your assigned Care Manager at 1-877-685-2415
Individual and Family-Directed Supports
Trillium offers two ways in which services may be provided for individuals receiving services through the NC Innovations Waiver.
- Provider-Directed Supports - The provider is in charge of hiring and managing staff. You depend upon the provider to carry out the services in your Individual Support Plan (ISP).
- Individual & Family-Directed Supports - You and your family have more control over the way your services are provided by directing them yourself. You, your family, or the legally responsible person direct services. You may decide to self-direct one or all of the eligible services you receive through the NC Innovations Waiver. There are two models for you to choose under this option:
- Agency with Choice Model - You partner with the provider to supervise or manage support workers.
- Employer of Record Model - You, your family, or the legally responsible person supervise or manage support workers.