ENSURING CAREGIVER SUCCESS ACROSS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA
GAST is committed to providing professional training that focuses on mental health, substance use, and dementia in adults 60 years of age and over. Any organization that delivers a service, provides a support, or interacts with the geriatric population on a regular basis is eligible. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Community Agencies
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- Senior Centers
- Home Care Agencies
- Department of Social Services
- Nursing Homes
- Faith-based Organizations
- Law Enforcement
- Emergency Personnel
- Volunteer Organizations
- Domestic Violence Organizations
GAST uses a best practice approach to ensure they offer the most professional and beneficial trainings at no cost to the recipient. They serve all counties in the catchment area to:
- Provide training and education that enhances the understanding of mental health, substance use and dementia needs in older adults.
- Ensure caregivers and service providers understand and know how to assess escalating behaviors to prevent psychiatric hospitalizations.
- Offer required trainings and contact hours to Long Term Care staff at no cost.
- Provide Geriatric Mental Health First Aid Training.
- Increase the ability of adults living with a mental illness to live successfully in their community with a trained caregiver.
Geriatric/Adult Specialty Team Documents and Resources:
- National Institute on Aging (NIA)
RehabNet is a non-profit organization with a mission to educate and provide assistance to seniors struggling addiction as well as caregivers and family members with concerns.
For more information, please contact
|John Dawson, RN
Geriatric/Adult Mental Health Team